Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Cell phone is hawt

Recent class discussions have got me thinking. What is it that makes something beautiful? To me it is a certain level of ambiguity, I see beauty in things that I don't fully understand. With recognition of beauty comes a feeling of appreciation, for the artist, the piece, and one’s self. It takes commitment and critical thinking to identify beauty, it is not passive.
So now the question is…How can I relate my own definition of beauty to technology? Is my cell phone beautiful?
Aesthetically? No. It cost 10 dollars and though there may be hints of beauty in its simplicity I don’t see it. If anything I’m just angry that it’s not an iPhone.
Functionally? Absolutely. I really have very little understanding of how it works but the appreciation I have for it is astounding. Even with its limited capability it allows me to effectively navigate my social network in a way that can only be described as beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment